rjohara.net

Search:  

Mead Chapel at Middlebury College

Mead Chapel at Middlebury College was built in 1916 with a gift from John Abner Mead (1841–1920), a member of the Middlebury class of 1864. Mead was a physician, a veteran of the American Civil War, and in 1910 was elected governor of the state of Vermont. For many years the chapel served as a central meeting place for the entire college membership. Designed by the Boston architectural firm of Allen and Collens, Mead Chapel houses a magnificent Gress-Miles organ built in 1971.

[Sunset view of the Mead Chapel steeple at Middlebury College.]

North sunset view of the Mead Chapel steeple across the campus of Middlebury College. Photo by R.J. O’Hara.

[Sunlit stairs to the south gallery in Mead Chapel.] [Mead Chapel north gallery with windows, pews, and organ pipes.]

Sunlit stairs up to the south gallery in Middlebury College’s Mead Chapel (left), and a view along the north gallery (right). Photos by R.J. O’Hara.

[Mead Chapel side aisle, red carpet, and pews.] [Mead Chapel Civil War memorial and choir loft stairs, with red carpet.]

Mead Chapel side aisle and pews (left), and the stairs leading to the choir loft, with a Civil War memorial (right). Photos by R.J. O’Hara.


© RJO 1995–2016